Published on Wednesday, 04 April 2012 12:53
WGN-AM may be the flagship radio home of the Chicago Cubs, but radio stations all up and down the AM & FM dials are going crazy with Cubs fever for tomorrow's Opening Day. Here is a look at some of the many radio specials going on tomorrow...
* * Yesterday, this website talked about the big seven-hour live remote for WXRT-FM. It will be the 20th Annual Opening Day Broadcast for 93XRT, hosted once again by Lin Brehmer, Mary Dixon, and Terri Hemmert. Read all the details in yesterday's article HERE
* * Of course, as the home radio station for the Chicago Cubs, one would expect WGN-AM to do something for the big day tomorrow. That all starts at 5:30am, as morning host Jonathon Brandmeier will be broadcasting live from Wrigley Field's Captain Morgan Club until 9:00am. He will be joined by many guests, including Cubs announcers and Chicago-area rock band The Fold, who will perform "Let's Go Cubbies," their song which was the winner of the 2012 WGN Radio Cubs Song Contest
. This live remote is free and open to the public, with admission to the ballpark.
* * WMVP-AM/ESPN 1000 will have a special morning show tomorrow. From 7:00am-9:00am, the afternoon hosts of Carmen, Jurko & Harry will move to mornings, preempting the syndicated "Mike & Mike Show." They will be broadcasting live from right across the street from Wrigley Field, inside The Cubby Bear (1059 W. Addison St., Chicago). C,J&H will have opening day tickets to give away. The live broadcast is free to attend, but attendees must be 21 or older.
* * Immediately after Carmen, Jurko & Harry end their live remote, WMVP-AM/ESPN 1000's Waddle & Silvy will also be doing a live remote. From 9:00am-1:00pm, W&S will be broadcasting their sports talk show from The Stretch (3485 N. Clark St., Chicago). The live broadcast is free to attend, but attendees must be 21 or older.
* * WSCR-AM/670 The Score will have their morning team of Mully & Hanley will be broadcasting their show live from Casey Moran's (3660 N. Clark St., Chicago) from 6:00am-10:00am. Casey Moran's will open up at 5:00am to let fans in and will be offering a $10 breakfast buffet until 10:00am.
* * WJMK-FM/104.3 K-Hits' morning team of Eddie & Jobo will be broadcasting live tomorrow morning from 5:30am-10:00am from the Laugh Factory (3175 N. Broadway, Chicago). E&J will be spending much of the show giving away tons of prizes to those in attendance, including tickets to see Roger Waters perform Pink Floyd's "The Wall" live at Wrigley Field, Jimmy Buffet tickets, REO Speedwagon/Styx/Ted Nugent tickets, Daryl Hall tickets, Chicago Rush tickets, passes to the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo, movie theater tickets, DVDs, CDs, K-Hits t-shirts & swag, and more. This live remote is free and open to the public.
* * WUSN-FM/US 99.5's morning duo Lisa Dent and Ramblin' Ray will be broadcasting live from Houndstooth Saloon (3369 N. Clark St, Chicago) from 5:30am-10:00am. They will have tickets to give away for Pat Green's June 1st show at Joe's Bar, as well as a pair of front row tickets to see Brad Paisley's upcoming concert at Wrigley Field. The live broadcast is free to attend, but attendees must be 21 or older.
* * WLUP-FM/The Loop's morning host Pete McMurray will be broadcasting live from around 5:30am-10:00am from O'Malley's Liquor Kitchen (3551 N. Sheffield, Chicago). The first 50 people to walk through the door at the live remote will receive Chicago Cubs tickets for a future game, while the first 97 people through the door will receive a free Loop Opening Day t-shirt. Other giveaways include pairs of rooftop tickets to see tomorrow's Cubs game (which include food & drink), Aerosmith/Cheap Trick tickets, O'Malley's t-shirts, and more. Joining Pete McMurray at the remote will be "Sweet Baby Jane" Monzures and the last hour will feature live music from Chicago-based cover band Trash Martini. The live broadcast is free to attend, but attendees must be 21 or older.
* * WKSC-FM/103.5 Kiss FM will be broadcasting live tomorrow morning from Dueces & the Diamond Club (3505 N. Clark St, Chicago). The fun starts at 6:00am with Brotha' Fred and Angi Taylor. Later in the morning, they will be joined by Nina Chantele who will continue to broadcast live until 1:00pm. This live remote is free and open to the public.
* * WBBM-FM/B96 will be broadcasting live from Wrigleyville before the Cubs game. The station will be set up at Rockit Wrigley (3700 N. Clark, Chicago) with B96's afternoon team of Stylz & Roman starting work early, working on the air from 10:00am-2:00pm. They will be registering people for a chance to win B96 SummerBash concert tickets. This live remote is free and open to the public.
* * As is the case each year for well over a hundred years, hope springs eternal for die-hard Chicago Cubs fans at the start of each season, hoping this could finally be the year for a World Series win. Another baseball season full of hope launches tomorrow afternoon. As of right now, fans are thrilled that the team is tied for first place in the entire MLB. Of course, they haven't started playing the regular season yet... Regardless, Chicago's radio stations are jumping on the the opportunity to tap into the springtime enthusiasm for the northside ball club, by doing numerous live remotes tomorrow. Go Cubs!
(And for you die-hard Chicago White Sox fans, don't be upset. There will be plenty of radio station live remotes for next week's Sox home opener, as well. Details coming soon...)
Updated 5:15pm with additional information.